This year Jenna's birthday was kind of crazy due to the fact that Joe and I got married the day before, but I really wanted her to feel like it was still a special day. My parents had Jenna and Ryan at their hotel the night after the wedding so on the morning of the 12th Joe and I hurried home to set up the house for Jenna's party. I usually buy a birthday cake at the grocery store for the kids birthday but this year I decided it would be fun to attempt a homemade "Barbie" cake. When we got home I started the cake with Jacob while Joe and Joseph hurried back to the hotel the get his wedding ring that he had left in our room (REAL NICE!!! We've been married one day and already he is taking off his ring!!). I had only bought one cake mix thinking that would be enough to fill the cake bowl so when I made the cake and it only filled the bowl half way I had to punt. Luckily I had a yellow cake mix in the cupboard that I could mix with the chocolate one. I got that in the oven and started decorating the house. Jacob and I made a huge sign with Jenna's name on it and hung a Unicorn Happy birthday banner across the fireplace while Aunt Meaghan set up the Barbie house she was giving Jenna as her gift. Joseph made homemade confetti while I finished up some last minute decorating. When Jenna and Ryan got to the house, Joseph and Jacob threw the confetti and yelled "Happy Birthday!!!!" Jenna was so excited to have all of the attention. My parents were there as well as Joe's parents, Aunt Meaghan and her friend Alisha, Jimmy, Joe's little brother, and Jimmy's best friend Chad and Grandma Lois. We started out opening presents because the gift that her brother's gave her was the activity. Jenna got the barbie house, several outfits, three littlest pet shop sets, a littlest pet shop )video game, a new barbie horse, a stuffed scottie dog and horse(both had their own carrying case), two slip and slides, and a huge Moon Sand set. She couldn't have been happier!!! After we opened gifts we put the pizza in the oven (Jenna LOVES pizza) and Joe set up both of the water slides for the kids to play on. They had so much fun. Joe would pick them up and toss them down the slide. We all ate pizza and enjoyed watching them play.
As they were playing my mom, Pat and I decorated the cake. What a joke!!! The frosting was too runny so we added powdered sugar but it still just ran down the sides of the dress. We would put a flower on the top and twenty seconds later it was lining the bottom of the dress. We finally called Jenna into look at it and put it in the refrigerator to try and save what was left of the frosting. She loved it so that was all that mattered but I will tell you--I will not be making a cake again on my own. My pride can only handle so much!! We called everyone together to sing and blow out the candles. We served the cake and I can honestly say it was the most horrible tasting excuse for cake I have ever eaten!!! The frosting was so sweet it hurt your teeth and the two cake mixes did not blend well. I am now positive that I will not be the next Betty Crocker!!! After that it started raining (not something that happens in the High Desert very often). The kids enjoyed watching the rain and listening to the thunder and lightening.
After the rain stopped we went to my parents hotel and let the kids swim in the pool. It started raining again after an hour so we got out and went to Red Robin for dinner. Jenna had so much fun and it was great to have all of my family there to spend it with her. She is such a bright and happy little girl. I can hardly believe that she is seven years old. My how time flies when your children are small. I am having so much fun watching her grow up and develop her own personality. She is such a blessing to me and our family!!
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Jenna's 7th Birthday
Posted by Susannah and Joe at 5:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hi Sue thanks for enviting me to see your blog! I am so glad that there is such things like this to see how friends and family are doing cause life just gets so buys and time flies! Your blog is sooo cute! I am so happy for you and your new life! I can't believe how old Jenna is getting? It just blows my mind. Keep us posted on how you are Love Heidi
Post a Comment